There are a few reasons as to why our patients find their breath smells.
Read our quick tips below to help with your bad breath!
- Not cleaning them properly
- Make sure you brush 2x day and floss daily to ensure there is minimal plaque and food buildup (remember to brush your tongue as well!)
- You can use mouthwash as well but just be aware some mouthwashes dry your mouth considerably.
- Get a clean at the dentist every 6 months at the minimum!
- Also make sure you get all your cavities and gum disease under control because that is the main cause of bad breath!
- Reduce consumption of foods/habits that dry your mouth
- Caffeinated drinks (e.g. coffee / tea / energy drinks / soft drinks)
- Some medications dry your mouth as well but definitely don’t stop taking them! There are special dry mouth products you can use.
- Drink lots of water
- You may be breathing through your mouth
- This dries your mouth out and causes bad breath
- If after all that, things still are not improving, then it’s worthwhile to check with the doctor too. Other causes include:
- Mucus in the throat/post nasal drip
- Tonsil stones/ Tonsillitis
- Sleep apnoea
- Other medical conditions
So don’t be shy to ask your dentist next time you see them to figure out how to fix your bad breath 🙂